Subject: Re: [Leica] leica pimples?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:38:47 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> > But I still would consider the 24mm Nikkor over a Cosina.
> > Good price, good optics, and could always go back to a Nikon body when
> > accurate or close framing is needed.
> > That's not too bad of an idea, right?
> >
> > -Julio
>
> If you're into 35mm SLR's.
> Mark Rabiner
> ---------------
>
> No, not if you're into 35 SLRs...if you want a lens in  that range for your
> Leica and, like most people, can't afford Leica's 24 M and you can make do
> with zone focusing....
>
> I would suggest that we all keep in mind that no everyone on this list is a
> "professional" who can afford to by what ever equipment he or she feels he
> needs and would be best - and no everyone on this list is an "amature" with
> unlimited resources to spend on Leica equipment. There are other good
> cameras out there. There are other good lenses. And there are ways to get
> into Leica photography by sometimes making compromises...:-)
>
> B. D.

Part of my point is that a big advantage to a Rangefinder system over an SLR
system is the quality of its wide angle lenses.
So many people think of rangefinder cameras as a means to do wide angle
photography, the normal lens becomes the telephoto; the telephoto's don't exist.
A lens designed for a rangefinder camera has an edge over it's SLR
compitition...can bulge out more in the back.
We're not alone anymore as of yesterday in the rangefinder world. There is
"Voigtlander" and Konica and Contax. The wide angles on these systems have a
natural edge over Nikon/Canon/etc SLR's i think.
Mark Rabiner