Subject: Re: [Leica] i get no respect....
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:19:27 -0700 (PDT)

Donal Philby writes:
 > [...]
 > Digital:  0,1.  On, off.  No room for subtlety.

Yeah.  Right.

I suspect it's 80% tongue in cheek, 10% required leica-users attitude,
etc...

But you don't get the subtlety, meaning, art, or vision from your
choice of body, lens, or recording media.  You get it from you.  Or in
my case, I'm still learning how to get it from me (and loving it).

Jim Brick's digital lightjet prints aren't subtle (just to stay on the
leica topic for a moment)?  I've seen 'em and disagree.

Steve Johnson's landscapes (www.sjphoto.com, he shoots all digital,
big scanning backs on view cameras, scanning backs on MF bodies, and
"little" Nikon photojournalist rigs) aren't subtle?

That's the kind of comment one might expect to hear from someone
nudging their buddy w/ their IIIc/M7/Bessa-R and saying in a stage
voice "get a load 'o the twirp with the D1."

oh boy.  Now I'm in for it.

g.