Subject: [Leica] Who is Louis Stettner?
From: Mitch Alland <malland@mac.com>
Date: 05 Apr 2000 16:25:53 -0400

Having just bought a book of Louis Stettner's photography (Wisdom Cries Out in the Street), I continue to be amazed how even well-known photographers have so little fame -- I have never heard of him before. Apparently Stettner was a student and friend of Brassaļ, he photographed in Paris and New York and wrote for Camera 35. Does anyone know anything else about him?

In Japan photography is more popular than in the States. A few years ago in Tokyo, I pointed out a book to my Japanese ex-secretary and she, said "Oh, that's Araki." I doubt the an equivalent intelligent young woman in the States would have heard of Ralph Gibson or Lee Friedlander.

- --Mitch