Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 motor exposure bracketing & Pascal response
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:27:39 +1000

Pascal wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> And in that mode, it must be acknowledged that the Nikon F5 matrix will
> deliver a higher "hit rate" than the R8 simply because of the more
> elaborate light metering system. And I am not even talking about the
> autofocus... ;-)

Hello to Ted and Pascal

Well, I think the R8's meter is better than the F5's.  Yep, I find it
hard to understand, but the proof is in the pudding.

My chromes with the R8 are better exposed than the F5.  And as for print
film, the lab technicians I surrender my film to produce better prints
from the R8.

Today I used the F5 for soccer action in flat light overcast conditions.
 It has autofocus, you see.  In almost perfect light the F5's meter, on
matrix mode, would jump by as much as a stop depending on the colour and
texture of the shirts worn by players.  This variability clearly drives
the lab techs nuts when printing, due to the exposure shifts from frame
to frame.  Now I thought that 1005 (?) segment matrix meter and RGB
sensor in the F5 were supposed to be immune to such things.  Not so, in
my experience.

My nature shots with R8 are beautifully exposed. Again, I'm rather
dissapointed with the F5 in this respect.  The F5's autofocus is very
useful, but it does wierd things at the worst times, and I don't trust
it.  I find using the F5 as a manual focus camera almost unworkable
(focusing screen, viewfinder, lens turning direction, ... are all
problems, for me.).

The R8 has a light meter that is a gentle, forgiving teacher.  The F5
has a meter that is a wayward wizard I will never understand.

IMHO

Regards

Rick (love that R8) Dykstra