Subject: Re: [Leica] Congratulations to Marc James Small
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:22:48 -0500

>I asked Marc that several years ago.  Seems his book was only about the
>European Non-Leitz Screwmount lenses, but the publisher changed the title
>for  marketing reasons -- or at least that is how I remember the story.
>
>Stephen Gandy

Mr. Small says in his introduction:

"My purpose in writing this work has been simple, to set the
circumstances of the manufacture of aftermarket Leica thread-mount
lenses. As with many another project, the task grew out of all bounds, as
the scope of this soon became unwieldy and, eventually unrealistic to
comprehend within one short volume... However, the basic purpose remained
and, as there was no work detailing the European lenses which in which my
own interests lies, I have so restricted my efforts."

(...)

"This work does not address Oriental lenses, which I will leave to others
whose passions run in that direction... (M)y omission is based purely on
my lack of data and not on any failure to acknowledge the generally
excellent quality of such optics."

It is imho a very interesting little book.

Don McClure
Abingdon, MD