Subject: RE: [Leica] 28mm vs. 35 mm lenses
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:27:41 -0800

I'm also not a big fan of extreme wide-angles.  When I use one it always
seems to impose its own look on the picture that tends to distract from the
subject matter.  My favourite wide angle on an SLR is a 28, but when I
bought Leica M I went with the 35.  For me a 35mm on a rangefinder seems to
be wider, somehow, than the same focal length on an SLR (don't know why, it
just feels like that to me).  I also like the feel of working with a 35 on
an M - it's a very comfortable setup for shooting people.  And the 35/2.0
Summicron-M ASPH is one heck of a lens technically speaking.

I've never tried a 28 Elmarit-M, but I'm sorely tempted.  There are times
when the 35 just isn't quite wide enough, and it would be nice to use a
wide-angle but not give up the use of a single viewfinder.  What would push
me over the edge is a 28/2.0 Summicron ASPH...

I find the difference between a 35 and a 50 on an M to be substantial, and
am glad I own both.  For a first WA on an M, all things considered, my vote
is for a 35 of some description.

Paul Chefurka