Subject: Re: [Leica] Never ready angst!
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:37:56 -0800

Mike-
Very astute!
I remember seeing in a movie where an instictive shooter was training a
neophyte. The beginner was admonished to jump rope to sharpen his skills-
and my son asked why the instructor would tell his student such a "dumbass
thing", as he put it.
I told him the idea is that when you get good at jumping rope, the
kinethesis of your body and brain get coordinated to the point that you
don't even think about where your hand or the rope might be at any given
point, but your brain knows, and reacts- thus people who can skip rope at
fantastic rates have developed the instinctive hand-eye-/brain coordination.
Their brain can tell their body where to be when it needs to be there, and
in a flash without a lot of analyzing.
My son seemd to accept that! But it is true whether you are an instinctive
pistol shooter, an archer, or even a baseball pitcher- training the body and
mind to work together is essential.
I cannot agree with you more on that point- only I wouldn't say you do it by
'feel', but rather as a natural extension of your body- like scratching that
itchy place under the ribs. You know! the one that you can't see, but your
hand immediately goes to it, without fail or hesitation!
I guess if we practice scratching our 'photographic itch' enough, the camera
could go to the eye and be on target without fail, or hesitation!
Dan (Honey! Where is my jumprope?) Post