Subject: [Leica] leica c1- initial reactions
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:11:30 EST

I just received my first "boat-load" of Leica C1's and I thought I'd share a
few initial reactions. (I figure Leica delivered them by boat since I ordered
them about 4 months ago!<ggg>)

1. Nice design...the look in chrome is great. I like the curvy "H" design
better than the "boxy" Minilux design. (more like the Z2x, but nicer)  They
have a script Leica logo on top that is quite nice and, of course, the red
dot on the front.  Chrome is a satin type finish...a little "dull" and
restrained as it should be.

2. Controls are minimal and in what seems to be an intelligent layout. It has
an "OFF" button...which I personally find essential.

The lens being a 38-105 is probably the best feature in my opinion. I hate
the 38-70mm range of most p&s cameras and I think that extra bit of tele will
go a long way. The lens does look a bit odd when zoomed all the way
out...kind of like a Pinoccio camera.<g> Zoom is relatively quiet, but not as
quiet as a Minilux Zoom I don't think? Shutter is very quiet...just a little
"tick."

3. Camera is smaller and lighter than I expected. It is more of the size of
the Z2x than the Minilux. While the camera does have a metal shell, it
doesn't feel as sturdy as a Minilux or Contax TVs...but at the same time it
feels a bit more substantial then the Z2x which is all plastic.

4. Nicest packaging of any Leica product except the black paint M6. I know
this doesn't adds much for most, but considering it is targeted at the P&S
consumer I think it was a smart move. It looks a lot like the pattern in that
latest M6 brochure. Black box and "hypno-dots" with C1 embedded in like a
color vision test.

Over all I think it is a winner for the price and will sell well so long as
Leica can supply them.

later,
Rich