Subject: [Leica] SB28 with M6TTL (or R8) in TTL mode, was: SB28
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:10:20 +0200

Gary Francis wrote:

> Does any one have any experience in using a Nikon SB28 with a Leica M6 TTL,
> with the flash used in auto mode. Any detrimental effect's on camera or flash?

Gary,

This is not the answer you expected, but it is possible to
use the M6TTL with the SB28 in TTL mode.

For that you will need:
- - the Leica flash SF20
<http://www.leica-camera.com/m_system/macc_e.htm#sf20>
- - the Nikon Wireless Slave Flash Controller SU-4
<http://www.klt.co.jp/Nikon/35mm/F100/Product_Details/Features/Flash/accessories.html>
- - a bracket to attach the SU-4 + SB28 to the camera.

When connected to the SB28 or any Nikon TTL Speedlights, the
SU-4 enables wireless TTL flash control while using the
Leica TTL flashlight SF20 attached to the M6 (or the R8) as
a master unit.
You will have to attach in front of the SF20, the frosted
translucent panel delivered with the SU-4 in order to
diminish its power.

The main advantage of this combination is that you will not
have the weight of a big flash on top of the camera, the
second one is the lack of annoying cable.

Some users reported that the weight of the big Metz flash
(40MZ3) was not so good for the rangefinder alignment of the M6TTL.

OK, now I have to admit that 2 flashlights and a bracket on
a M6TTL make it look strange....
;-)

It look (a little bit) better on the R8.

BTW, I will not try to connect directly the SB28 on a Leica TTL.
If you do that, protect the TTL contacts with tape.

I'm still hoping that Metz will come back one day with a
cobra shape professional flashlight instead of the
cumbersome brick design of their 40MZ1/2/3i.

Lucien