Subject: [Leica] re: Waterproof Leica
From: John Paul <johnpaul@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:59:44 -0500

Hi

This is my first post to the group.

Their may exist a way to mount R lenses onto a Nikonos camera body for
canoeing or diving.

I used to work for a company called Aqua Vision Systems who make u/w
housings for mostly
N**** (did I do that well?) cameras. We didn't have a Leica housing per
say, however one of the projects I headed was an underwater housing for
land use lenses which would fit on to a Nikonos camera.

A prototype variation of the Aqualens, as it is called, did include a
Leica R lens mount although it was never put into production.  I believe
however that the readily availible Aqualens for N**** (this is fun!) can
be modified to accept the R bayonet mount.

This would involve removing the fitted N**** body mount and replacing it
with a Leica R body mount.  Metering on the Nikonos camera body, ambient
and flash, would not be affected and remain TTL.

This is not a do-it-yourselfer as the R mount flange to film plane
distance would have to be correctly set.  There is an off chance that the
N**** and Leica may match but a spacer may be required.

I do not recommend contacting the manufacturer Aqua Vision Sytems in this
matter but rather one of their service centers.  I believe that the best
person to contact would be Fred Dion of Underwater Phototech in Derry,
New Hampshire (they are on the web). All he would need is the correct
flange to film plane distance and a Leica R body mount.

Once adapted, you should be able to use most wide angle R lens that have
at least a 12" minimum focusing distance and have aperture control using
a fitted gear over the aperture ring (make sure you protect the aperture
ring well as the gear is held in place by set screws which may mar the
finish). Focusing can also be controlled in a similar manner.  Above
water, focusing would not be affected by the domed port however u/w,
infinity would be at 12" or 16" depending on which domed port is used.

Also, depending on the physical size of the lens or the matching of the
nodal point, standard spacing rings are available to extend the domed
port from the body of the Aqualens.  This would likely be the case with
the 15mm.

Hope this helps.

John M. Paul