Subject: Re: [Leica] Helicopter Aerials - stabilizer question
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2038 13:16:52 +0000

Gary Todoroff wrote:

> I sure wish I could use some kind of stabilizer, but haven't shelled out the
> $3000 for a KenLab gyro yet. There is no place local to rent them, and the
> schedule is too sporadic to send away for a rental that might not even be
> used. Has anyone heard of a cheaper way to go for gyro stabilization?

Gary,
Really no alternative other than the Canon IS lenses as far as I know.
Rental is tough, paying transport days and they are heavy so FEDEX is
expensive.

But look for used.  Last year I picked up a like new KS4 with two
batteries and a case for $1000.  For me it is worth it to have a backup
or for two cameras at once.

BTW, I flew helicopter Friday where a Kenyon inverter was built into the
aircraft--which flies a lot for police work and they use the Gyro for
big binoculars.  So I didn't need a batt.  Very nice.

Using Ms for aerials is really nice too, since you can frame while
seeing around, but is a pain not having a zoom.  Changing lenses is not
fun up there.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego