Subject: Re: [Leica] FS: 35mm Summicron ASPH and IIIf with Summitar
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@iserv.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:36:50 -0500

I will be happy because I wasn't happy with the 50mm. I am used to the
Nikon 20-35 f2.8 zoom and miss the ability to get it all in. The 35 will
get me there. The thing I do miss is the higher f stop of a 1.4 or 2.0
lens. Now this will make a difference. I have already enjoyed the first day
of shooting with it yesterday. I popped on my new-used polaroid filter and
went to town. My only criticism was the amount of right-side viewfinder
realestate was taken up by the bigger footprint of lens and filter.

Thanks,

Steve

At 01:06 PM 3/26/00 -0800, you wrote:
>No you won't be happy. You're not trading up. You're just starting down a
>very slippery path.
>
>The 35 and 50 are not comparable lenses. They have entirely different
>characteristics. You'll miss the 50 mm lens and wish you had it back. Then
>you'll buy the 75 or 90 to keep from admitting you made a mistake getting
>rid of the 50. Then you'll get either a noctilux or summilux 50 convincing
>yourself that what you really need is the extra aperture. Then you'll have a
>50 again, but wish it was smaller and lighter...
>
>Contentment is not part of this process. But it sure is fun... :)
>
>Mike Quinn
>
>Steve Hickel wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I had a purpose in my question. I am trading up to the 35 f2.0 asph
>> from a 50mm 2.8 elmarit. Sounds like I will be happy.

To verify source, check public key PGP at ldap://certserver.pgp.com