Subject: [Leica] M3's worth
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 14:20:28 -0800

I just spent the past week in Carmel (CA) and spent some time exercising my
new Linhof Technikardan. Also exercised my Hasselblad. Along the CA coast.

But, a good friend who is a waiter at the best restaurant in Carmel (The
Flying Fish) acquired his fathers M3 and lenses. He gave me the M3 and
rigid 50 to play with for the week. He has no use for it as he is not
interested in photography. The M3 has a s/n over 1 million, meter, and
crystal clear rigid 50mm lens. I assume it is a rigid 50 as it has a focus
tab that locks at infinity.

With the meter attached, it is almost mint. A tiny piece of vulcanite
chipped from where the bottom hooks on and barely perceptible marks around
the tripod socket. The meter is fully functional and dead on with my Gossen
Luna Star F meter. With the meter removed, there are numerous top plate
scratches from the meter being put on and taken off. The M3 is the tightest
and smoothest M camera I have ever used. I shot a roll of T400CN and had it
processed in Carmel to test everything. It is a spectacular performer. The
mechanics of the camera are perfect. RF perfectly aligned and accurate at
f/2 at the closest focus with the Summicron.

What I would like to know is, what is this camera and lens worth? I will be
able to buy it for 50% of market value so I need to find out what market
value is. Included with it will be either a 90 or 135 of the same vintage.
I haven't seen it but it will be given to me as part of the package. It
won't figure into the price.

I still have the camera, I'll use it this week, and will be taking it back
to him next week. So I need to know what the camera and lens is worth.
Worth if it was to be sold without delay. Not worth for something sitting
at a dealer until someone, sometime, happens to want that M3 at a high price.

Many thanks for your help,

Jim