Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web, TED!! help?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 16:30:49 -0800

Greg Locke wrote:
>          I guess I should start telling clients that they have to pay for
> the cameras, too. :^)>>>>

Greg me old son,

In movie and TV production the cameras are paid on rental as per
project.  ;)

I often thought that would be a hell of a good deal for still shooters
also.  Tried it once and was told very pointedly to ......"" (f......f!)
 If I wanted the assignment you better be carrying your own gear!!!"
Quote -- unquote!   My response to a very large amount of good solid
income after all expenses...   ."Right on and with how many cameras
would you like me to shoot?"  :)

However! They paid, not only for the shoot time, all expenses, travel,
accommodation and a per diem of $150.oo USD per day, but every time one
or any of the pictures were used in the future!

READ THIS AUSTIN!  They paid, without me asking, residual cheques
arrived completely unannounced! Simply because that's the way it's done!
Whether you agree or not!

I fought the likes of you for near 40 years trying to educate public and
industry buyers of photographers that when they hire a photographer to
shoot an assignment, the photographer owns all rights just as an artist
does. And any future use of any of the material above and beyond what
the assignment was originally commissioned for is paid extra.

Austin, try your method in the movie or TV industry and you wouldn't
last 30 seconds...You'd be run right out of town.  Your analogy of being
paid only once totally excludes all future use of the original works!  I
would hope you understand, that every time a movie is re-run on TV the
actors are paid a residual.  Of course they have already received
multi-millions for their artistic ability! Therefore, it shouldn't be
any different for still photographers and their photography.

Is this so difficult to understand?

Sorry, your style of handling assignments and other human beings whom
you may engage for work is as archaic as the ark. As I said previously,
I wouldn't touch your money nor assignment if you paid me double for
what I do, when you want carte blanche use after the fact!  Not a hope
in your life!

ted