Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 14:36:52 -0800

> For what it's worth, count me in the "you paid me, I'm done" school of
> photography. I have always worked as a member of a publication's staff. The
> publication owns the copyright as well as the negatives. I have no claim to
> them. On the other hand my employer provides very generous benefits,
> including retirement.

Hi Bob and everyone,

     Wasn't it Gene Smith who crusaded for the photographer's control of
his work?  This was not a small issue back then and seems to remain.
I think he quit Life magazine over his loss of control of the use of
the images he made.

    But a major publication will never have a problem finding someone
else.......but not of the same refinement.  Maybe those who are the best
place a higher value on their work?....I'm probably not good enough to be
counted there;  and I feel there are only a handful of photographers in
that inner sphere.....

				Cheers,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net