Subject: [Leica] Re:Filter Sizes and Pola-Screens
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:37:17 -0000

Doug Richardson wrote:

>>Let me try to explain... Since the Series filters are hard to get
and
>>apparently exist in only limited types,

And Marc James Small replied:

>Well, I dispute that statement, intensely.  Series filters are quite
easy
to get and quite inexpensive:  Harrison & Harrison, for instance,
produces
a full range of them, for around $10 each, give or take.  And I
believe
both Heliopan and B+W still produce them as well.

I live in the UK, and have on my desk several major catalogues, one of
which lists no Series filters of any kind, while the other which shows
only a few types available in Series fittings. They may be easily
available in the USA, but not here.

>The 2/50 Summicron-R takes a Series VI adapter with an E44 thread...

Yippee! Here's the *magic* info I was looking for. Thanks Marc!

>Leitz sold polarizers with those threads and did not rely on a Series
polarizer.
>The E44 polarizer is Leitz 13358 (graduated) or 13353 (circular)

Ah, that past tense! No longer available, says my local dealer. And in
several years, I've yet to see a second-hand 13353.

>Please note that I have one of the E54 polarizers available on my FS
list.

Alas, I need the E44. Also, buying from the USA is not a practical
answer. Her Majesty's Department of Bloodsuckers and Vampires (aka
"Customs & Excise") would levy an import tax, then US sales tax, then
a stiff fee to recompense them for the inconvenience of having had to
levy the first two taxes, and finally the postal system would make a
further charge for the time and trouble which they had to go to in
passing the package to the Department of Bloodsuckers and Vampires.
This total of four taxes can add anything from 50 to 75 per cent to
the price of the goods.