Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 Wide Angle Body -- WORLD MARKET
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:44:21 -0500

Austin wrote:
[ snip ] . . .
Personally, I see it as a very limited market item...
and as such, would probably kill it.

	--> I beg to differ in opinion.

	How many new discrete parts would it take Leica
	to come up with to generate a WIDE ANGLE version
	Leica M6 TTL from the current M6 TTL 0.72 / 0.85 ?
	NOT that many ... 10, 20, not much more, though I'm
	not an optics technician.

	So it's manageable from a production point of view.

	From a PHOTO point of view, it's a strike of genius.
	Perhaps could we concede the 21mm and associated visor,
	but I'm convinced a Leica M6 TTL 'WIDE'
	capable of using the 24 - 28 - 35 mm (perhaps 50 mm) Leica M lenses
	"out of the box", especially considering the new
	Summicron soon to be available, most definitely represents
	a fine LINE EXTENSION for the Leica M product family,
	both for Leica Camera A.G. and the well advised advanced
	amateurs and photo professionals.

	It made sense, business wise, to produce the Leica M6J,
	less than 2000 units if I'm well informed. I'm convinced
	a Leica M6 TTL 'WIDE' would appeal to 10% or more of
	the Leica M markets and I'd guesstimate a 3 to 5% extra
	number of units sold overall per year for the World market.

	FURTHER, I'll venture to propose a next generation Minilux
	with a real viewfinder and a 24mm or 28mm f/2.8 or f/3.4 prime
	lens, as MINILUX 'W I D E', could generate interesting
	sales, world wide, with proper product definition and design,
	far beyond the CL 1. It doesn't have to be 100% German but a close
	resemblance to the Leica M and a general "family camera" attitude
	could make for very substantial sales and world market share
	increases for Leica. I'd make it "All Weather" as a premium.
	It could be called the Leica Lite-Touch 28 PRO . . . !

	Yes, there IS a market !

	Andre Jean Quintal