Subject: Re: [Leica] vignetting
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:06:22 -0600

>luggnutz,
>
>looking over some recent black and white proofs of shots made with the
>elmarit-m 24, i noticed some serious vignetting. the pictures were taken in
>bright sunlight, and i was using a b+w yellow filter and the lens hood,
>which doesn't fit completely over both the filter and the rim of the lens.
I have the 24 also. It is incredible!
My hood will fit over the B+W filters but I have to wiggle it around
quite a bit and kind of force it over to its proper mounting place.
Did your hood cause the vignetting because it was too far forward?
>the lens was stopped down to f/8, which i thought would eliminate
>vignetting, or at least keep it to a minimum; it didn't.
>does anybody shoot with the 21 or 24, using both a filter and a hood and
>*not* get vignetting? if so, how do you avoid those unwanted dark corners?
>do any of you 24mm luggers go without a hood when shooting with the 21 or
>24 and a filter?
With one filter I have not had any problem. When I stack 2 filters then I
get noticeable fall off in the corners (which can be nice if you want it)

It may just be the filter/sky interaction - or - did it vignette in the
lower corners also? If its just in the upper corners its the former. I
get the same thing with the atmosphere here at 600 ft. elevation. No
filter effect around the horizon and lots of effect up in the blue sky.
This exaggerates the ever so slight dark corners of the lens that do not
show up except in this kind of situation. You can see this also by
shooting a completely even colored and evenly lit wall - you'll see it
then but not in normal picture taking. I simply consider it a "pre-edge
burned" effect. I think lots (all) of lenses do this. We just don't see
it in day to day photography.

>what say you wide angle luggers?
I say its time to test your set-up so you can correct it.

>guy

Henry