Subject: Re: [Leica] Two questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:09:55 -0500

At 08:30 AM 3/24/2000 -0500, Kurt Miska wrote:
>1- How do you post something that you want to sell? I know Friday is set
>aside for that but do I post it first thing Friday or late Thursday.
>What's the procedure.
>
>2 - I was given a whole stack of articles on the M-cameras that appeared
>in the late 80s or early 90s. Very interesting. The author (I forget his
>name) comments on the 135 mm f4.5 Hektor - "forget about that one." Why,
>what's the problem with that lens? If any?

Our List Owner has asked that we only post on Fridays.  I believe the date
of transmission controls:  you can post any time from Midnight to Midnight
on Friday, YOUR zone time.  All responses, of course, should be by private
E-Mail and not to the List.  These policies are certainly not rigidly
enforced but, as a matter of courtesy to our host, I would suggest we all
comply with his wishes.

There is nothing wrong, at all, with the Hektor, and I have taken many a
happy shot with various versions of this fine design.  But it is old, and
slow, and more modern designs will outperform it.  The 3.4/135 APO-Telyt is
a stunningly fine lens!  But the Hektor can be had cheap, and that makes it
a fine user piece.

You might want to consider the 4/135 Jupiter-11, a Russian lens often
available in LTM for under $100.  Or, if you can find one which has evaded
the collectors, a 4/135 Elmar, a nice lens and slightly better in all
optical regards to the Hektor in my experience.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!