Subject: Re: [Leica] tele elmarit caps, hoods, etc.
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:34:20 -0600

If your 50mm Summilux uses the 12586 vented metal hood, you can keep the hood
mounted on the lens and cover the front with a generic (i.e., cheap) 62mm lens
cap - the kind with the two spring loaded buttons on opposite sides.  Much
quicker to get into operation than removing the Leitz cap and reversing the
hood.  (I keep my 35mm Summilux set up the same way with a 58mm generic cap on
the front of its hood #12504.)

The 12575 hood is appropriate for the tele-elmarit and gives good shade to that
lens (It also works on the 135/4 Tele-Elmar.)  The front of this hood, of which I
have a sample at the moment but no lens that uses it, will hold a 55mm generic
cap, although a 56mm probably would be better if there were such a thing.

Keeping the hoods installed in their working orientation with the fronts capped
as described makes for very convenient deployment from a bag, but it does add a
bit of length compared to storing with the hoods reversed.  For me, the
convenience is worth the extra bit of space the lenses occupy in a bag.

Try this at a store.  You might like it.

Cheers,
Kip