Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:28:36 GMT

Go for the current version if this is for an M, and the F3.5 elmar if you
need screw mount.

The new version is superior to all the older Leica 50's.  It compares well
in my use with the current Summicron.

The F3.5 elmar seems to enjoy a better rep than the old F2.8 in LTM.  I have
seen many of the F2.8's in crappy shape, with lots of scratches.  This would
indicate a soft front element.  Also, the older 3.5 elmars are just about
the flattest, smallest 50's I know of.

The 3.5 in a coated post war version is really a great lens.  Decent at F3.5
and super by F8.0.  Make sure you get one with mint glass or it will flare
on you.  Also, make sure the aperture works smoothly.

Best wishes
Dan States
Chicago Illinois