Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Oh So Geographic
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:20:38 EST

In a message dated 3/22/00 11:33:24 AM, Buzz@marianmanor.org writes:

>My comments on "Geographic's" photographs, that I find them pretty but
>vacuous, is a different matter.  Usually I just find the narrative content
>of "Geographic" photographs to be pretty thin and their emotional impact
>be slight.  They are always technically proficient, usually gorgeous, and
>often demonstrate rare courage on the part of the photographer.  They just
>don't "speak" to me and I find them empty in the way that I often find
>attractive politicians empty.  Of course there are exceptions and some
>Geographic photographers are better than others.

I understand the point. Sometimes I find myself thinking, "They spent all
this time and money and THIS is the best they came up with" or alternatively
"I could have shot that" or (more often) "I WOULDN'T have published that."
That last point may have more to do with my limited vision, I admit. Still, I
enjoy the publication immensely and think it's a fantastic bargain. In fact,
most of the time I find myself saying "Wow!", "Cool" and "I wish I had shot
that." Actually, my response is far more likely to be positive than negative
or just so-so . . .

Bob (I could have shot that) McEowen