Subject: Re: [Leica] Paying Viewfinder's editor
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:30:24 -0800

Bmceowen@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/21/00 9:04:43 AM, fredz@mindspring.com writes:
>
> >  Roy Moss does a magnificent job editing Viewfinder, and he certainly
> >should be paid to do it. People who argue against that should be ashamed
> >of
> >themselves. (I don't know the man, by the way; but I know good editing.)
> >It
> >is particularly silly to argue that whether to pay someone for a job should
> >depend on whether the person has other income.
>
> I'm not a member of the LHSA but I'll offer this: My boss here at Rural
> Missouri also edits the statewide newsletter of the Blacksmith's Association
> of Missouri and "The Anvil's Ring" the national magazine of ABANA (the
> Artisan Blacksmith's Association of North America or some such). He has a
> yearly contract with ABANA that pays pretty handsomely. I don't know if he
> gets paid by the state association or not but they're very generous sending
> him to conferences, schools and the like . . .
>
> Bob (all for journalists getting paid) McEowen

On the money issue 1500 bucks probably pays Roys phone bill. He'd make twice the
money flipping burgers. He's probably loosing money on the deal.
But I'd like to see the magazine take more responsibility for it's articles
which are in effect letters to the editor.
Roy and his small staff have to take twice the time to check over the articles
more closely. And time is money.
These editorial policies I don't see eye to eye with but these people are doing
it for love, not money.
Mark Rabiner