Subject: Re: [Leica] Now, Frank-bashing??????
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:12:17 -0800

At 10:25 PM 3/20/00 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>Johnny Deadman: >>> Reminded me of Robert Frank's dictum in THE
>AMERICANS to photograph people as if seen by the ordinary man.
>
>Bernard: >>>"As if seen by the ordinary man" = tasteless, banal.<<<
>
>I sometimes wonder where the heck I am on this list. This is like going
>to an electric guitar forum and hearing people talk about how much they
>hate rock music.

Not at all, Mike, that's a bad analogy.  It's like going to the electric
guitar forum and hearing people talk about how much they hate Jimi
Hendrix.  One doesn't have to feel an affinity for each and every
practitioner that you feel is important to appreciate the art.

Not that I caught the original reference, so maybe it's out of context
anyway.  But Frank is very much an American artist and may not appeal as
much to people from other places.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/