Subject: [Leica] Tripod ball heads / une mal apple - de Milo speaks
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:24:18 EST

    There has been at least 50 different style Leitz B&S heads made since
    the first one in 1926 and in 3 basic sizes: sm, med & large,  Each has
    a definite "raison de etre".  I use all 3 - but for different purposes;
the lrg.
    one allows you to brace the TT against a wall and use your Leica either
    horizontal or vertical with your left eye.  You can use the taller one
just
    braced on your chest (breast) to steady a nervous hand.  Some b&s hd's
    come with a combination of both 3/8" & the 1/4" tripod socket.

    The only poorly designed b&s head that Leitz made was the small black
    paint 14119 on which the ball grooves were omitted for some reason and
    results in a weaker lock ---- the grooves are vital in such a small head.
    The 14100 designation has been used with most of versions of the tripod
    body, even though they have been made in both black & gray enamel as
    well as the early slightly smaller black flocking which command a premium
    price as it is more desired by collectors to display their early Leicas
which
    are now so obsolete that they would otherwise probablybe consigned to the
    "junk heap"  Viva Leica Collectors.

    Leicably yours,

    Mary (de Milo) McGough