Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V16 #54
From: William Carson <ke7gm@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:43:20 -0800

Regarding "Film Flatness":  It would appear that the people at Franke & Heidecke in Braunschweig encountered the problem of "film flatness" quite a long time ago in
their engineering of the Rollei cameras.  At least two models of their 2¼" square format reflex cameras [I owned a Rollei flex F and also a Tele-Rolleiflrx with
this feature] offered optical flat glass plates located in the image plane, ahead of the film, to offset the tendency of the 120 film to "bow" or "buckle-out" in
it's location in the aperture of the image-making portion of the cameras.  It appears that the pressure plate by itself in a single plane did not correct the
geometry of the film in this critical area.  It is reasonable that the film would present a very flat surface to the image with this feature.  I do not know that
Hasselblad ever offered such a feature although it is certainly reasonable to assume that their engineers would aware of this design?  Bill Carson,
KE7GM@earthlink.net