Subject: Re: [Leica] f2.8 90mm Elmarit (Thin) Survey
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 23:00:39 -0500

Doc:

I had a thin TE that I bought after a search of several looking for a
clear one. I saw lots of fog, haze and nasty stuff. Mine was a late
model and lovely, clear like a new lens. It's a great lens for some
things, but in any situation where light, point source or just a
bright sky was in the photograph, it was flare city, sometimes
ghosting, often just low, low contrast results. I even tried using a
deep 12575 hood but it only helped some of the time.

The 90 Elmarit with which I replaced it is free of flare in all the
shooting I encounter. They weigh a bit more, but lately they're
available for $750 or less. For my money its a better choice.

Tom

>In a message dated 3/19/00 8:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com writes:
>
><< This survey has got to be skewed to the fact that we people who dumped our
>lenes
> which were no good have not kept records of the serial number of the
>offending
> lens. >>
>
>The Skinny T/E was discontinued in 1989 so the most recent ones are now more
>than ten years old.  I figure that if a T/E hasn't gone bad by now it won't.
>For those who own clear ones, I wouldn't sell it out of fear.  For those
>contemplating buying one, I'd surely check it out with a light, but if it was
>clear I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
>
>Doc

Thomas Kachadurian
www.kachadurian.com