Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <isaacc@flashcom.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 22:38:31 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2000 8:37 PM

> > > That makes NO sense.  I know dozens of VERY experienced MF shooters,
as
> > > well as I am certainly one, and I do nothing 'special' to 'keep my
film
> > > flat'.
> > >
> > > What, exactly, do 'experienced MF shooters' DO to supposedly keep the
> film
> > > flat?
> > >
> > > Just as a note, THE bible on Hasselblad photography, called "The
> Hasselblad
> > > Manual" only references 'film flatness' in ONE statement on matching
> the
> > > backs with the inserts.  If this were truly a problem, and if
> 'experienced
> > > MF shooters' actually did 1) have a problem with film flatness, and 2)
> > > actually did something about it, it would be mentioned in this book.
>
> >     I doubt it. Mr. Wilidi has been in Hassleblad's pocket for years...
> He'd
> > never get a negative remark like that by Hasselblad.
>
> Do you base this claim on speculation or do you know something firsthand?
>  I do not believe Hasselblad either has him 'in their pockets', or proofs
> his books, do you know that they do, or are you speculating?

    Mr Wilidi is employed by Hasselblad.. I have been to two of his
"seminars", which are really "How to sell Hasselbld" seminars. He has made
many remarks about how he has to watch what he says... For example, the last
one I went to he was exhorting us to convince owners of the older "C" series
lenses to move up into the newer lenses. When asked why they should when
many of the designs are the same, he ridiculed the shutter/aperature ring
(In case you don't know, the older Hasselblad lenses lock the aperature and
shutter speed together). He then paused and said, "I never would have said
that when they were making them, but I'll say it now!" Everybody laughed, he
really is a funny speaker when he wants to be, but it was obvious that he
was there as "Mr. Hasselblad". Hasselblad pays him to speak, and where would
Mr. Wilidi be without Hasselblad? Don't get me wrong, he is a great
resource, but he certainly knows that his entire career depends on a
friendly relationship with Hasselblad...

> I find that kind of funny.  You would consider it a 'negative remark' (no
> pun intended), when I consider it an 'operational note', that is, if it
> were true ;-)

    It would simply go against the Hasselblad outlook... All through the
years, Hasselblad has made a big deal out of several items:
    1) A square format is more flexible and useful than any rectangular
format.
    2) All Hasselblad lenses use Zeiss lenses for "unparalled" image
quality.
    3) All inserts are custom matched to the back to insure "absolute" film
flatness.
These are some of the key points that they have hammered home on all sales
presentations and sales pitches for who knows how many years. To admit that
perhaps one of these things is not quite as good as the compatition (mind
you, I'm not saying it isn't...) is not even considered.
    My personal opinion is that Hasselblad backs keep the film flat
enough... Perhaps the Rollie system or Contax Vacuum system does it better,
but I'm not worried about it, the results speak for themselves.

> I guess one can read anything into anything they want, to make it mean
> anything they want to make it mean....

I suppose thay can, ain't the internet great?!:-)

Isaac