Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 35/1.4 ASPH vs Noct
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:18:51 +1100

The Beals wrote:

> LUG'gers,
>    I can't speak to the original poster's intent, but I understood the
> comparison.  In fact, it's not a new idea.  In an old LHSA Viewfinder
> article by Dick Gilcreast, he compares and contrasts the handheld
> functionality of a 35mm Summilux to the Noctilux.  Mr. Gilcreast suggests,
> rightly so, that a camera with a 35mm lens can be shot at lower speed than
> the same camera with a 50mm lens.  The article suggests that in this
> comparison, the available light gathering ability of these lenses are equal
> if they are both opened up and shot at their functional handheld speeds (35
> Summilux = 1/15 and Noctilux 1/30).
>    I would post the URL, but it is since dead after LHSA secured a unique
> domain name.
>
> John Beal II
> Redmond, OR

John, with all due respect to Mr. Dick Gilcreast,  whom I don't know, I dispute
the
comments he makes, about the light gathering properties of the Noctilux 50 mm
f1
lens being the same as the Summilux 35 mm F 1.4

The comment, that at its  functional handheld speed, of 1/30 to 1/5 Sec
respectively
the light gathering is the same.  Since the Image of the subject recorded with
Noctilux is  larger  the one recorded with the Summilux, we have to use the
lens with the larger focal length as a reference point. (Noctilux) . To bring
the image recorded on the film to the same size as the lens with the larger
focal length , we have to crop the image of the smaller focal length lens and
therefore enlarge it more. This not only enlarges camera shake up to the amount
visible by the larger focal length, but due to the greater enlargement
required, we loose sharpness and increase grain.

If what Mr. Dick Gilcreast said was true, then  a 15 mm lens with f4 would have
at least the same light gathering properties as the Noctilux. Its handheld
speed  according to Mr.
Dick Gilcreast would be a second or more. We then can go and hope that someone
releases a 5 mm lens, with this than we could photograph with 10 seconds or
more while walking along.

There is no way, of comparing lenses with differing focal length values with
regards to
speed or camera shake or light gathering properties. A f1 lens will always
gather more light then one with a smaller opening.

Regards, Horst Schmidt