Subject: [Leica] medium format comparison
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:30:53 +0100

It may seem that Mike assumes that I am only a theoretical person,
looking at curves and forgetting to do proper experimental research.
It is really a pity Mike did not ask for information before starting
to accuse me of wishful thinking. May I inform Mike that the same
experiment he conducted has been done by me too. A few years ago I
was a photography teacher at an institute for the training of
professional  photographers in the South of France. Here we did this
comparison: Leica M with 50mm, Zeiss Contax with 50mm, Hasselblad
with 80mm and Sinar 4x5 inch with some Schneider lens, the specs I
forgot. All films were 100 ISO B&W (so giving the 35mm cameas a
disadvantage!!!). Prints were made with a Durst Laborator for 4x5
inch negatives and a Schneider enlarger lens. We choose as a subject
a scene with very fine textural details, very clean highlights to
look at the smoothness and gradation of small subject areas. All
heavily tripoded on 4x5 inch tripods etc.
The results were studied by 20 students and three teachers and some
external professionals. All agreed without any doubt that the best
quality had the 4x5 inch prints. Superior sharpness impression,
stunning gradation in subtle high light areas and a deep glow no
other print could even approach.
The 120mm prints and the 35mm prints were considered about equal. Of
course the 120mm showed finer nuances in the highlights where the
grain of the 35mm washed away the subtleties. But the 35mm prints
were considered the sharper ones.
Now to rehearse: I never said that the Leica picture would be better
than the Haselblad picture. I only stated that the Leica picture can
compare favorably with the 120 format. Given the huge advantages of
the 120 format that is a tribute to Leica lenses and the quality of
the current emulsions. So let us keep on track. I did not assert the
superiority  of Leica against Hasselblad. I only said these two can
be compared and that the Leica picture can hold its own.
This episode tells me that we  should pool our resources and try to
do some really valid and conclusive research. This thread is quite
interesting and I would hate to see it spoiled by some unjustified
accusing.

Erwin