Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:51:48 -0800

At 10:03 AM -0500 3/19/00, Austin Franklin wrote:
>That makes NO sense.  I know dozens of VERY experienced MF shooters, as
>well as I am certainly one, and I do nothing 'special' to 'keep my film
>flat'.
>
>What, exactly, do 'experienced MF shooters' DO to supposedly keep the film
>flat?
>
>Just as a note, THE bible on Hasselblad photography, called "The Hasselblad
>Manual" only references 'film flatness' in ONE statement on matching the
>backs with the inserts.  If this were truly a problem, and if 'experienced
>MF shooters' actually did 1) have a problem with film flatness, and 2)
>actually did something about it, it would be mentioned in this book.

I have been shooting MF and LF for a while, and film flatness is definitely
an issue for me. If I've left film in a Hasselblad back for a day or more,
I won't shoot on the next frame, as the center will be focussed on more
distant objects than the edges (I've seen this a number of times).
Similarly on Mamiya 645 backs, Graflex 6x whatever backs for 4x5, Horseman
6x12 and others of the same transport design. Also Noblex 150 series.
Calumet C2 backs and Sinar Vario backs don't have this problem, and I can
use every frame, but the C2 back is never consistent, and obviously has
some other problems. The Mamiya 6 seems to have the best film flatness (or
best matched to lenses) of any MF camera I use. In 4x5, vacuum backs are
used for exacting copy work for a very good reason. Point the camera down,
and the film sags. Fortunately, for most of my work the emphasis is on
keeping 4x5 film dead vertical. Shooting at f/11 to f/32 also helps. In
8x10, I've had the film fall out of the holder in the camera when taking
shots looking down when shooting from equipment that vibrated every few
minutes! Talk about film sag!

Soooo... In MF, with most cameras I try to finish the roll fairly
expeditiously, and wind on the last frame or two rather than save it for
the next day. I'll take shots on the Mamiya 6 with film that has been left
in the camera, but if critical and at wide openings, I'll still wind on to
the next frame. The Sinar Vario back I don't have anymore - good riddance!

As for "The Hasselblad Manual" (mine is the second edition), Wildi does not
necessarily seem like the type of author that would bring up a subject like
film flatness. As in many books of this type, and this certainly includes
many about Leica, it is more an extended instruction manual that doesn't
probe a systems weaknesses.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com