Subject: Re: [Leica] image quality and format
From: "John Shick" <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:59:33 +0000

- ----------
>From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: [Leica] image quality and format
>Date: Sun, Mar 19, 2000, 3:24 PM

If we can
> use a film that has a granularity size and resolving power that is
> below the enlargement ratio of the Leica negative, I dare to say that
> there will be no difference in print quality.
> Erwin

I don't understand this point Erwin. If both cameras use Techpan or similar
film then dispite no visible grain, the bigger negative will still have
millions more discrete silver halides thus should be able to give smoother
transitions and more discrete shades of gray or colors, granted the smaller
the enlargment the less visible the difference. There is no way you can
equalize this difference in same size prints.  The Leica lenses are sharper
than Medium format lenses as are, I believe most premium lenses designed for
35mm photography, they need to be.
John Shick