Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Bag Recommendation
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:29:16 +0100

Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:16:50 +1100
From: "Rick Dykstra" <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>

This Domke F803 and Billinghom Alice shoot-out/discussion is useful.

Could I invite users of these bags to describe what they can carry, for M
and R systems.  And how they feel about the protection offered and
convenience of use.  I'd want to carry two M bodies, four lenses, an SF20
flash and a few rolls of film.

I'm currently using a Leica Universal Bag, and its a nice bag, but I like
the idea of a satchel style bag, for its body hugging centre of gravity.

Thanks

Rick (would have a ball with two bags) Dykstra

I used the Billingham Alice over the last year as my carry-around bag. It's
a great bag. The large front pocket is especially useful, carries around
ten rolls of film and other small items. The main body I used to carry one
R body with lens, a single extra lens and a small hotshoe flash unit.
Anything more would be too much, I think. If you don't use flash much, it
would just take two R bodies back to back with lenses (short lenses!). My
only gripe with the bag is that it's too rigid; for instance, it won't
adapt to the shape of a body with motordrive. However it's extremely well
made and nice to carry around. I'd recommend changing the strap (surgery!)
for an Optech bag strap; much better grip and comfort. The Alice is
definitely my favourite bag. Just a shame I left it with a friend in Bombay!
I also have a Photo Hadley which has more capacity but is a bit too deep
for my taste. I _had_ one of their larger bags, but it was no good for
working out of - bad access to the central body and too many fiddly
closures. I got rid of it.
I don't think I'd recommend any of the Billinghams for working out of if
you need to change lenses frequently and want to carry all your gear
around. But if your camera lives on your shoulder and you have just film
and maybe an extra lens in the bag, either of these two is great. That's
just my style of working - I hate carryng loads of stuff around. If it
wasn't for the fact of needing to carry film and a flash, I'd never carry a
bag.
One thing about Billingham which may justify their high prices is that
their bags are genuinely weather proof and last for ever. I used the Alice
throughout the monsoon last year and never had any problem with it. The
Hadley has an even better flap design.
Bags - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. There's something
mighty necessary about them!
Rob.
Robert Appleby
V Bellentani 36