Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: concert shooting - totally off-topic - no Leica content
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:46:19 -0500

At 06:45 PM 3/18/2000 -0000, Doug Richardson wrote:
>What the pirated copies did serve as was a great advertisement for the
>magazine - every time someone asked the user of the information to
>justify his statement by indicating the source, that source (the
>magazine) received publicity.

Well, again, you are advocating that 'the ends justify the means' and, in
any event, you, as the author, could give permission, which you did, by
failing to enforce your rights.  From what has been earlier posted, I don't
believe that Parker ever gave his permission to these 'recordings from the
mens' room' or whatever it was.

As to the security guard issue, I have great trouble believing that a
security guard at a library would even know what copyright might be.  He
might well have confiscated it for a dozen other reasons, but I doubt if
copyright was in his or her mind.

And, in any event, making copies for research is one thing.  Producing
pirated copies of artistic works for profit is another.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!