Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 birth! :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:59:05 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:
<<<<<<> You may not feel you need a motor, but let me assure you it completes
> the full feel of this camera and enhances the operation extremely well.
> It balances in hand much easier and makes the camera handle like a
> dream.  Actually I think some of you folks who said it was too big for
> your hand, you may find this is the answer and you might want to have
> another look at it with motor attached.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gerry Walden responded:

> Interestingly I picked up an article from Erwin Putts pages which goes into
> the history of the design of the R8.   This says that the original concept
> was for it to balance well with a motor and longer lenses.   It says that
> they wanted to get as close as possible to the feel of an 'M' (and that will
> set flame throwers going) as possible.   Sounds like they might have
> achieved it!>>>>>>>>>

Gerry,

Flame wars or not, if they come from people whom never handled an R8
with motor, then they're not worth reading!

However, the R8 with motor isn't an "M" in weight, but the motor has
given quite a different feel in handling and operating the camera, than
without. And I say again, even for those with smaller hands.

The minor weight feel can be overcome, ask anyone using EOS or F5
regularly as they'd both be considered somewhat heavy machines in
relation to the "M", but neither are lighter than the R8 with motor.
Recently there were several posts pertaining to weight factor in the 3
cameras and I believe the differences were negligible.  Really, who
cares about a few ounces one way or the other.

It's the handling factor that counts! And it's much better with motor
than without!  Beats the winder all to hell and far superior to no motor
at all!

ted