Subject: Re: [Leica] f2.8 90mm Elmarit (Thin) Survey
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:52:36 -0800

I think the problem has something to do with the particular design, because if
it were caused by atmospheric conditions, the same problem would show up on
other lenses -- Leica and none Leica.  the damaged examples I have seen have a
peculiar mottled appearance to the rear element.  It looks like something that
would clean off, but in fact it won't clean off.    the rear element was a new
design which is pressed in.  I wonder if too much pressure was applied during
the manufacture, if stress fractures could develop years later ??

IF any of the damaged lenses are available, Solms repair wants to take a look
at them to find out what is happening.  Send them to the head of the repair
department,  Horst Braun.

Stephen Gandy