Subject: Re: [Leica] Almost Ready to Take the Plunge.
From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:53:03 +0100

>Hi All,
>
>Well, I have decided that I must have a manual camera and I have decided on
>a Leica M. This will be my first exposure to a range finder camera.
>
>I think that I should start with one lense (minimize the number of variables
>to start). I want your opinions on THE lense. I was thinking of either a
>35mm or 50mm.
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

Well, I'm going to disagree with just about everyone and say that if i
could really only have one lens, I'd choose a 24. Incredibly versatile
focal length without too much wide angle distortion. Most of the time I'm
only about a metre and a half from my subjects, so that's the one that does
it for me.
The second best for the only lens category would be a fast 35.
If I was going to have just _two_ lenses, they'd be a 24 and a 50. They
complement each other and you can do very different things with them. Two
bodies, two lenses (i hate changing lenses). And a fast 35 back in the room
for night work.
Rob.

Robert Appleby
V Bellentani 36