Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: When Good Lenses Go Bad
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:57:06 -0800

The current 90/2.8 is the (non tele) elmarit. The old tele design is very
compact but was rumored to be not as "good" as the non-tele version for head
shots and other mid range targets.

I have the first (fatter) version of the tele-elmarit. It's a great lens and
exceeds the resolution of my (same vintage) Nikon 100/2.5 whenever I've
tested the two together (including head shots). It also has good "bokeh" and
the advantage of sharing hoods, filters, caps, etc. with the 35, 50, and the
tele-elmar 135/4.

Usage seems to run in cycles, but for long periods the 90 TE was my favorite
and most used lens. I suspect it will be again when the local seals stop
having pups (135 TE) and I return to trying to extract urban images and
flowers from my cluttered backgrounds.

Mike Quinn