Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH lense shade...is this thing a joke?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:27:39 -0800

At 12:10 PM -0500 3/15/00, Austin Franklin wrote:
>I received a 35/1.4 ASPH today...and couldn't believe what they gave me for
>a lens shade.  It's a flimsy little plastic clip on shade, and the clips
>look like they're going to last about an hour....  This thing is a joke for
>the kind of money these things cost...
>
>Another 'odd' 'feature' is the lense doesn't fit in its case with the shade
>on.  The 24 does, so what would be the big deal making the cutout in the
>foam for the 35 shade?
>
>The aperture ring twirls around as easily a high school cheer leader....
> The other lenses I have have positive detenting...the wind blows and this
>one will pick another f-stop...
>
>Overall, this lense just isn't near as nicely 'fit and finished' as the
>other two I have, and I am quite disappointed...  I hope it takes great
>pictures though...

The lens shade for the earlier production lenses just clips on (and with
very little effort, gets knocked off). The later ones have a ring towards
the back of the shade that locks the clips and thus the shade. Doesn't
appear to be particularly fragile. The early shade cap was hard plastic,
the later one is rubber.

The case sits with the box somewhere where it won't see the lens again
until I sell it - or probably, my heirs sell it since I don't think I will.

The aperture rings on all three ASPH lenses I have are looser than the old
ones, but we don't have wind strong enough to move them around here. All
three (21, 35/1.4, 90/2) are lenses I can use with complete confidence at
any aperture under any conditions, and the only real difference at the
various apertures is the DOF. Optical heaven!

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com