Subject: Re: [Leica] Harvey & Cuba
From: Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:50:13 -0800

>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:23:02 +0000
>From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Harvey & Cuba
>>Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com wrote:
>
>> I saw that show in LG too, last fall. What surprised me was that, according
>> the guy in the gallery, everything was shot on slide, then 8x10 color inter
>> negatives were made from the slides, and the prints were made from the
>> internegs. The prints looked great but I would never figure that one out! Why
>> not print the slides on Ilfochrome (Ciba) in the first place? Contrast
control?

>Jiri,
>Partly.  I have seen fabulous prints from 35 via 8x10 neg on C.  The
>only way to go for large prints.  Several years ago I ordered 12 prints
>CIBA for my portfolio and ended up just throwing them away because of
>contrast.
>
>donal

Then why not start with color negative in the first place? I know that the
'mantra' has been for years 'slides are better, etc.', but given the current
color negs, is
this still the case? Or is the slide still better/easier for publishing? Seems
like given the exposure latitude and possibilities of 'digital corrections', the
color neg should be close to ideal for both printing and publishing?

I've been shooting mostly B&W for years and tried both slides and color negs now
and then, but it seems that slides are just too restrictive, watch the
highlights, forget the shadows. Color neg seems more 'natural' choice to me to
shoot with Leica M, at least on the streets. And now that Fujicolor Crystal
Archive paper outlasts Ilfochrome (is this true?), isn't it just one more reason
to use the negative?

I'm not trying to start a war neg vs. slides, just would like to hear from both
'camps'.

Anybody cares to comment?

Thanks.

Jiri Dvorak