Subject: Re: [Leica] Almost Ready to Take the Plunge.
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:14:36 -0800 (PST)

Jeff Bailey writes:
 > Hi All,
 >
 > Well, I have decided that I must have a manual camera and I have decided on
 > a Leica M. This will be my first exposure to a range finder camera.
 >
 > I think that I should start with one lense (minimize the number of variables
 > to start). I want your opinions on THE lense. I was thinking of either a
 > 35mm or 50mm.

Oh boy, oh boy....

Looks like you're going to be swamped with opinions about the 35/this
and the 35/that.

I'll be odd man out.  I *love* my 75/1.4.  I'm still teaching myself
to see in slightly wide angle shots (e.g. 35mm) but I think that (at
the moment anyway) my sweet spot is short telephoto.

I love the 90/2.8 too, though it's a bit slow for the places I use my
M (small acoustic music venues).  The 90/2.0 Apo sounds like a lot of
fun....

I have the penultimate 35/2 and like it a lot, but I think I need to
work on my compositional skills with it.

So, think about what you're trying to shoot, and don't let all of
those wide-going folks sway you away from the longer lenses if you
want one.

g.