Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Summaron comments and One man's Pig
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:08:48 EST

Jonny Deadman writes:

<< I've said this before, but I had a 35/3.5 Summaron and it was a pig. Like
 any leica lens it was sharp as a needle around f8, but I never seem to have
 that much light, and at 3.5.... yuk. In any case, 3.5 is one stop too slow
 in many situations. Moreover, it was a goggled M3 lens, which is an
 ergonomic nightmare.

 Not one of Leica's high points, IMHO. >>

My experience with the 3.5 Summaron has not been completely without angst,
but I would not call the lens a pig. Mine (M3 goggled version) came without
the eyes, and I had a devil of a time figuring out why it would not focus
properly using the rangefinder on my M6. Well that is the way it was
designed. When I finally figured the only way to focus was to use the lens
scale, it started giving me some very fine photographs. No problem IMO with
the 3.5 aperture using 100 speed chrome as the camera is so easily handheld
down to 1/15th or even 1/8th second. I think at this point I would not use
the goggles even if I had them. Scale focusing is not that difficult.

Regards, Paul Connet