Subject: [Leica] CL with ligh leak
From: Julio Marcos <jmarcos@DonJulio.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:12:39 -0800

The Leica CL I purchased a few months ago still has a light leak that I
cannot seem to fix, no matter how much black tape I use: at the
beginning some slides had a very distinct light flare, from the middle
of the wide edge of the slide into the middle of the frame. By taking
into account that the image is reversed, it appeared to me that the
right side of the outer shell of the CL, which goes into the side where
the counter is located, was the problem: the edge of the shell had been
bent so that it would trigger the frame counter. So I bent the edge back
so that there would be no gap between the outer shell and the body. This
seemed to help but I still got _some_ slides washed out in the middle
(and the frame counter stopped working). So I put some tape between the
shell and the body, just the right side. Same thing. Now I put tape in
nearly every edge, and it's still doing the same thing.
I don't know what to do (or what else to tape). The shutter curtain
seems OK, I try to look for light 'holes' by looking against a light
source, but everything seems OK. Any ideas? (other than wait for an M6
or just use it for B&W)
Thanks,
Julio