Subject: Re: [Leica] Why I rarely post...
From: "Jeff Bailey" <fish-boy@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:39:27 -0500

- -----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2000 12:45 PM

>"David W. Almy" wrote in part :
>
>"What puzzles me is why you believe this should disqualify me for
"membership" in
>the Lug"
>

>David, you make many excellent points,  ironically supporting my view.
Your
>insight and experience is valuable to the rest of the LUG, that is the
reason why
>you should make an occasional contribution.
>
>It's my hope that if  all LUG members were required to make a minimum
numbers of
>postings, the increased participation and learning would benefit us all.
>
>Guessing, it seems to me about 10% of the LUG makes about 90% of the posts.
What
>about the other 90% ??
>
>To put a different spin on the question, why should people be allowed the
>benefits of LUG discussions without contributing something themselves ??
>Somehow, that does not seem very fair to me.
>
>I know, limited participation is standard  in  most mailing lists, but why
>shouldn't the LUG  aspire to something better than the norm ?
>
>Stephen Gandy
>

>> Stephen Gandy wrote:
>> >
>> > Unfortunately the great majority of LUG members don't post anything -
for
>> > whatever reason.    Two of these "lurkers" are friends of mine who are
both
>> > EXTREMELY Leica knowledgeable, true Leica experts in fact....
>> >
>> > 1) EVERY member had to make at least one posting a month in order to
stay
>> > subscribed.
>>
>> Stephen,
>>
>> I am a commercial photographer who has subscribed to the Lug since 1996
>> and use 2 R8s, 2 M6s, 6 M lenses and 4 R lenses --  all
>> state-of-the-art. I use a Contax G2 set, including the 16 and 21, for a
>> change of pace every now and again. Much to my mother's horror, I also
>> hold a bachelors degree in professional photography from the Rochester
>> Institute of Technology, class of '82. All of the above and two bucks
>> will get you a good cup of coffee. :-)
>>
>> Although it undoubtedly has damaged my marriage over the years, I read
>> Lug mail every day. I rarely post anything. In my case, it is because a)
>> I simply don't have the time (apologies) to write a substantive posting,
>> (b) a significant percentage of the topics are of no interest or (c)
>> somebody else beats me to the punch with "the answer." Consequently, I'm
>> quiet, and lurk. What puzzles me is why you believe this should
>> disqualify me for "membership" in the Lug. I learned more about
>> photography (and Leicas) in the first six months on this list than I did
>> in four years of college, although the Lug's noise level has grown over
>> the years. On the rare occasions that I do post, it usually is because I
>> can add to a thread from personal experience, which helps others, even
>> if infrequently, which I'm glad to do. This practice and intent should
>> not be grounds for expulsion.
>>
>> One thing is certain: the Lug remains a never-ending source of
>> entertainment.
>>
>> David W. Almy
>> Annapolis

Hi,

I guess I could be described as a "Lurker" here. But I fall outside of the
group you seem to be targeting; although, this type policy would affect me
greatly.

I don't have an M6 (I am planning on buying one in the very near future). In
fact, a few of the members here are the reason that I am doing it. I have
been subscribing to this group for a while just to find out more about Leica
cameras. The questions that I asked were rather low-level so I did not feel
comfortable asking them to the entire group.

Here is my point, this type of policy directly impacts people that are new
or interested in becoming a Leica user. It seems to me that this policy
would do away with people like me... Now, that might be a good thing;) But,
I don't think that it is intended but it would definitely be one of the
consequences...

Please, don't kick me out. I have never taken a picture with an M6: what
could I add now? All I want is a chance...

Thanks,
Jeff Bailey
fish-boy@mindspring.com