Subject: RE: [Leica] pointless debate... --> double profits
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:24:58 -0500

Ha! THE turntable of the 80's, indeed THE turntable of all time is the Linn
Sondek LP12 with obligatory Valhalla mod.

	--> 1/ it's a sorry thing the LUG manages to raise
		tone and make problems because of something
		as remote from photography as audiophile
		speaker wires... on a Monday, even.
		[ Yes, the LP12 is AUDIBLY more detailed ...
		compared to others with same tone-arm and
		phono-captor cartridge ... ]

	--> 2/ you MUST be made aware that when an audio
		retailer manages to sell expensive speaker cables
		and other "add-on" items, the total system sale
		profit normally doubles right there and then,
		in a great majority of the cases. Now you know !

		As a former audio store manager, I never went that way
		and rather helped our customers gain more immediate
		and audible benefits by upgrading other areas
		of their systems. Of course, expensive cables
		are supposed to sound better BUT a marginally better
		loudspeaker will bring far more than the wires proper.
		When a customer decided to go the audiophile
		speaker cable route, I obliged, but not more.

		Also, many have confided to me, over the Internet,
		that they had thoroughly messed up their sound quality
		by toying around with various kinds of expensive
		brand-name loudspeaker cable and interconnects
		that practically have no tangible resale value when used.
		Technically, in most listening rooms, #16 cable
		does an excellent job [when properly phased].
		If you can add C$1000 for wires, get better electronics,
		a better source, better speakers, or a decent listening
		chair, Ekornes 'Golf' by default, before the wires,
		unless you already went all out or over-budget.
		Or get STAX 'SRX' headphones.

	Andre Jean Quintal