Subject: Re: [Leica] Elcan??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:47:46 -0700

When speaking of the 50mm f2.0 Elcan the words fortune and small should be
used together. It was a military order to go with the KE-7A (M4). A small
number were sold on the consumer market as they made too many for the
contract. Only about 500 units were produced between 1972 - 1974. As with
most collectable Leica, it is valued for its rarity not ability. Remember
the military was never known for being easy on equipment. It was built to a
price, a simplified version of the summicron with four elements in four
groups as opposed to the then current summicron with six elements in five
groups. Apparently you do not need that much resolution to tell the good
guys from the bad guys.

John Collier

Check what your dealer wants for it and possibly you can supplement your
retirement income. The Contax 45mm is a wonderful lens by the way, very
highly regarded.