Subject: RE: [Leica] pointless debate about speaker cable
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:11:40 -0800

>I find this whole issue to be quite the hoot -- if for no other reason than
>know it can go on for days with no resolution. So FWIW, I will throw my 1
>cent in (it's not worth 2) and tell you where I come down . . .
>
>I use tube guitar amplifiers (I recently traded my '66 Vibrolux Reverb for
>'64 Princeton Reverb + cash and used the cash to buy something Leica). I
>wouldn't have it any other way but I tried some old, second-hand tube audio

>gear and was disappointed with the bass. Clearly I did not give it an
>adequate chance and have no desire or motivation to spend the money for
>high-end tube audio gear. I have four stereo systems, all hobbled together
>with pawn shop prizes. Any self-respecting audiophile would turn his nose
up
>at my stuff -- '70s-era Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. Heck I even own a set of
Bose
>speakers so that should tell you where I'm at. To make matters worse I am
>practically an evangelist for the minidisc format. So now that my bonafides

>(or lack of them) have been established I'll say this: I swear by #12 zip
>cord and find it hard to believe that any music signal needs better wire
than
>that. I think the whole $500 speaker cable thing is just proof positive
that
>if you price something high enough, people will buy it.
>
>Bob (listening to "In a Silent Way" through zip cord as we speak) McEowen

Fortunately, enough people disagree with you to make high-end audio a viable
and interesting (if somewhat eccentric) hobby.  Just as there are many here
who might disagree with the following paraphrase:

"...I'll say this: I swear by my Tamron 28-200 zoom lens and find it hard to
believe that any photograph needs a better lens than that. I think the whole
$3000 lens thing is just proof positive that if you price something high
enough, people will buy it."

And about that "go on for days with no resolution" bit - do you ever have
that right!  Check into rec.audio.high-end, read the messages, then check
back in six months.  I just did exactly that - same issues, same people,
same arguments - some of the thread titles were even the same.  There's
always a speaker wire war raging :-/

Paul Chefurka