Subject: [Leica] Re: IIIa vs IIIc
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:59:02 -0500 (EST)

Marc Small wrote:

>Well, the IIIa is constructed a tad differently than is the IIIc, IIIf,
>and IIIg bodies, which had "unibody construction" -- a die-cast shutter
>crate and a die-cast body, in place of the earlier construction technique
>from separate parts.  And the later LTM bodies were a tad larger, too --
>1mm taller and 3mm wider.  Other than this, though, the IIIa is identical
>in most ways to the IIIc.

I do like the smaller body, it's true.  Is the difference in construction
something I'll notice in the field?  (Certainly the IIIa seems
bullet-proof; the body walls are noticeably thicker than my Canon's.)

And how about the price?  Is $375 excessive for a very clean IIIa?  I take
it I wouldn't have to pay any more for a IIIc in this condition.

Douglas Cooper