Subject: Re: [Leica] opinion on film scanner
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 19:57:06 +0100

Hi Daniel,

I have owned the HP Photosmart (first version) and now have the Nikon
LS-2000. The extra $1000 gives me considerably better scans from slides.
With negatives, the HP was perfectly fine. Also, given that your goal is
the Web and not prints, your requirements are not so stringent. So you
should be fine with either of the two models you are considering for
negatives. Kodachrome can be a real test for a scanner. The Nikon ICE
feature does not work with it (or with B&W negatives for that matter). The
best thing to do is to take a Kodachrome slide to the store and try it on
both scanners, if you have that possibility.

Nathan

daniel mcclenaghan wrote:

> I was hoping to get some personal recommendations on a film scanner for
> my backlog of leica(on topic)b&w negatives and some kodachrome slides.
> my goal is to put these images up on a website, not for printing. the
> models i have looked into are the HP s20 and the nikon ls-30. does
> anyone out there have any experiance with these. i was hoping to spend
> around 500~700 dollars. thanks for the help.-daniel mcclenaghan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch