Subject: Re: [Leica] digital angst
From: "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:16:13 -0600

>>If a lot of
advertising and product photography (probably the most technically
demanding types of photography) are already shot on rather primitive
digital backs and everyone is already happy with that, how are the expense
and rarity of emulsions going to stand up to that in ten years from now.

I don't know if this will help assuage anyones worries, but in
advert./product photography(which is what I do), film still dominates.
Catalog work is where digital capture has made it's greatest inroads, due to
the fact that there is the need for a great number of images and they are
relatively small. Advertising agencies still prefer film for it's
versatility, they might need it for a small reproduction now, but like to
know they can go to billboard size from the same piece of film.
Speed, needing it right now, comes up occasionally but the extra turnaround
of film is rarely an issue. The photo shoot is often the quickest part of
the production chain.
Often times art directors are looking for a certain "look", not necessarily
speed.
I don't know if this holds for everyone everywhere, but in working w/ major
agencies w/ major accounts this seems to be the norm for now.

Mark Rutledge
markrut@ticnet.com